Cantina Benanti, one of the best wineries in Sicily, located in Viagrande is glad to offer you a guided tour of their Monte Serra estate and vineyard, followed by a cooking demonstration and a wine tasting.
The visit includes the following activities:
- To help you settle in, you will be given an introduction to the winery, its origins and its philosophy, along with some information on the Etna region (estimated time: 10 minutes)
- You will then be escorted up to the scenic Monte Serra vineyard nestled on an extinct volcanic crater, a true landmark for the area. Here, you will be able to appreciate the beauty of the Etnean landscape, walk through the vines, step on the renowned black volcanic soil and learn more about how the vines are cultivated. In particular, you will be able to see their 100 year old pre-phylloxera Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio vines, situated at the very top of the hill. Please note: appropriate shoes and a hat should be worn to best enjoy the walk (estimated time: 30 minutes)
- Back at the bottom of the hill, you continue by visiting the so-called palmento, a spectacular lava-stone vinification hall dating back to the 18th century, one of the best preserved palmento on Etna (estimated time: 10 minutes)
- Just before starting your tasting you will have a look at the oak barrel hall where Benanti red wines are aged. As a quirky “plus”, you will also be able to see a real, traditional Sicilian kart that has been restored to perfection (estimated time: 5 minutes)
- After the tour, you will be guided by the chef through a cooking demonstration in the winery’s kitchen (estimated time: 60 minutes). You will help the cook with the preparation of typical Sicilian dishes.
To maximize your experience, they will serve their top-of-the-range wines!
Terms and Conditions
Think Experiences are provided by independent local companies which are neither owned not controlled by The Thinking Traveller and for whom we act only as an agent. Whilst every effort is made to keep the description of every Think Experience up to date, the provider may cancel or amend your experience at their discretion for many reasons including where it considers that there may be a risk to your comfort, health or safety. Some excursions/activities (i.e. helicopter rides, excursions on Mount Etna, boat charter, etc.) may contain an element of risk or require a good level of physical fitness, and, if in doubt, you should contact us so we can put you in contact directly with the local provider before deciding to buy. Please also check that you are covered for the activity(ies) in question by your travel insurance policy.
In acting in the capacity of an agent on behalf of the provider, your contract will be with that provider and will be subject to their standard terms and conditions, and it will not form part of your contracted holiday arrangements with us. Any complaint (including any allegation of breach of contract or negligence) should be taken up with the excursion/activity provider directly. We will do our best to assist you, but will have no liability in relation to the performance of that contract.